Historic

La Placita Village’s History

La Placita Village opened in 1974 with over 200,000 square feet of mixed-use space. The development was a failed attempt at an urban renewal project which ultimately displaced hundreds of barrio citizens and caused the removal of historical structures.

The entire complex encompasses several buildings and structures with historical significance. After partnering with a variety of preservationist groups, the following historical elements will be maintained:

Flin Building

The Flin Building is most notably known as the longstanding location of El Charro Café.

Learn More

Stables

Closely tucked behind the Flin House are the historic Stables.

Learn More

Samaniego House

Home to one of Tucson’s early civic political leaders, Mariano G. Samaniego, the Samaniego House was built in 1876.

Learn More

Photo Source: Arizona Daily Star

Plaza de la Mesilla

Plaza de la Mesilla was used for community celebrations and gatherings for nearly a century, from the 1860s to 1960s.

Learn More

Photo Source: Arizona Daily Star

For more information about these and other historical sites in the area, we recommend the following resource: “La Calle: Spatial Conflicts and Urban Renewal in a Southwest City” By Lydia R. Otero.